Saturday, April 8, 2017

Apr 8 - G for Ghost #AtoZChallenge

G for ghosts. I am not a ghost and I can not see ghosts nor do I have any supernatural powers to capture ghosts in my camera! People in the picture are real. It is a camera trick to capture blurred images of walking people to get the ghost effect. The technique is to use a slow shutter speed and I would recommend trying this trick in the evening or in low light settings to get a better effect. I assumed lighting on a cloudy day should give me a decent blur without overexposing the scene. I was restricted by my camera's capabilities. I used shutter speed 1.3 seconds and chose the narrowest lens opening the camera let me, yet the photo was bright and slightly over exposed. I shot in manual mode with shutter speed - 1.3 seconds, aperture - f/16 and ISO 100.

Camera: Nikon 5100
Picture of the day in 2013: Flowers
Picture of the day in 2012: What would you open
Picture of the day in 2011: Irresistible indulgences

10 comments:

  1. When you experience the intricacies of how light and images are seen, isn't it a wonder that our eyes do such amazing things?! Love this experimentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This A-Z challenge has motivated me to experiment with my camera, which I would have procrastinated for ever.

      Delete
  2. I had no idea fancy cameras have a ghost feature 👻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamara, camera doesn't have a ghost feature :) I played with the settings to get the blur. I shoot in manual mode using a dslr. It is fun shooting in manual mode, you can do lot of fun stuff.

      Delete
  3. Oh this is good stuff Usha- I love photography and shall endeavour to stop by more often.
    Theme: Peregrination Chronicles (travel)
    G is for Grape Stomping in Bangalore #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to get that effect when my hands shook!

    Thanks for all your G+s

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice capture, Usha. Was it handheld?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sayanti. No it was handheld, I used a tripod. I think should mention it in the post.

      Delete
  6. OMG that is such a cool effect!
    It can be an instant blog graphic of some grand post with deep meaning!
    Love this! Great shot!

    ~ Saraallie
    Sara Writes ~ The Crazy Life of a Silly Little Sister

    ReplyDelete