Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Apr 5 - D for Depth of Field #AtoZChallenge

Example of Deep DoF with f stop 6.3 & shutter 1/20 sec
D for Depth of Field. Depth of field (DoF) is one of the most important concepts in photography. DoF is the depth of the area in the photo that is in focus and sharp. DoF varies from photo to photo. There are many factors that affect DoF filed and Aperture is one of them.

Aperture is the opening of the lens and depending on the size of the opening, DoF varies. Aperture is measured in f stop. When lens opening is small, f stop number is big, resulting in a deep the DoF and conversely, when the lens opening is larger, f stop number is small resulting in a shallow DoF.

Above picture is an example of deep DoF where the entire frame is in focus. Deeper DoF is used when everything in the photo needs to be sharp and in focus, such as in landscape photography.

Example of shallow DoF with f stop 1.8, shutter 1/200 sec
Above picture is an example of shallow depth of field where the bottle in the foreground is in focus and rest of the bottles and the backdrop gradually go out of focus. Shallow DoF is used for portraits, bokeh and often for macro photography.

I usually shoot in manual mode. I used almost same set up for both the photos but different settings. Since aperture is different for both the photos, I had to adjust other settings. Aperture not only affects DoF but also the amount of light that goes into the camera, hence had to adjust teh shutter speed. I shall talk more about it tomorrow.

Camera: Nikon 5100, 50mm f/1.8 prime lens
Picture of the day in 2012: Devil, the one with horns
Picture of the day in 2011: Wet flowers

10 comments:

  1. Depth of field is one of my favorite elements of photography, really focusing the viewer on the important elements of the shot. I can't stand these cell phone pictures where everything is sharp and busy! Great post. :)

    Spectres & Stardust - D is for Dandelion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photography is superb I must say. Although, I love photography but never took any professional course in the same. Your post has given me some interests again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geethica, thank you. I didn't take any course either. There is lot of material online to self learn but a course is always helpful and a good start to learn the basics.

      Delete
  3. I guess I cheat as I usually shoot on automatic. Have never been very good on focusing on DOF and worst since my eyesight deteriorated.

    D for Dickens and Dotheboys Hall http://bit.ly/2o8kwlP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great perspective! I need to follow you this month so I know what to do when we get our new camera.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this post! I love photography, but do not know much about it! Loved learning about this, and the pictures helped me to understand it more!

    http://authenticallylivinglife.blogspot.com/2017/04/d-is-for-decisions-atozchallenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so talented! I cannot take a decent photo to save my life. But I do keep trying.

    Dystopia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Practice makes one perfect, You are doing the right thing, try and keep trying :)

      Delete